Monday, May 2, 2011

When God is quiet

"I believe in the sun, even when it's not shining;
I believe in love, even when I am alone;
and I believe in God, even when he is silent."
-found inscribed on a wall in a Nazi concentration camp following WWII

Throughout the last several weeks of lent, and the week following Easter, my heart has been in a battle.
I've spent weeks asking God why, what now, why, how long, why.
Every time I ask, I get the same answer.

Silence.

I've cried out to God for peace, screamed at him for answers, pleaded with him for blessings, shouted at him for a sign.
I keep getting the same answer.

Silence.

I've bargained with God, trying to use every chip I can come up with; I've searched the Word looking for hope, in my darkest hours I've threatened to take my own life.
His answer?

Silence.

But today, on my drive home from work, I remembered this quote I had come across a few years ago, "...and I believe in God, even when He is silent."

I don't have the answers I want, I don't have the peace I'm craving, I don't have the hope I once did, but I still believe. I still know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is up there, hearing every word, every shout, every teardrop.

This morning a song entered my head, and it's been stuck there for a few hours. It's by Joy Williams and the chorus says:
"It's okay to answer me with silence,
It's okay if you don't say a word,
'Cause you're testing me to trust you'll be faithful in this quiet,
So okay, answer me with silence."

I'm suddenly renewed in the fact that I will get through this time, I will come out a stronger woman, a better mom, wife, and follower of Christ. But for now, I'll just have to live with

SILENCE

2 comments:

  1. I think in these times it's SO important to plug yourself into community and a mentor that can pray alongside you and sometimes even hear God FOR you, on your behalf.

    I am standing alongside you and will be praying you through this season. Please call, text, email, etc me if you need ANYTHING. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this post. I ahve been in that silence for quite some time as well. It's never easy, and that is why we need reminders like this. THANK YOU for sharing.

    ReplyDelete