Sunday, October 9, 2011

Reflections and ramblings

I've spent a lot of time this week traveling back and forth between the hospital in Hays and my parents house to visit my Grandpa. We've spent lots of hours by his side, trying to spend as much time as we can with him, since these will likely be his last days. When you know someone close to you is nearing the end of his/her life, it really makes you (or at least me) think. 
I've had lots of flashbacks to times with my grandparents: holidays, summer vacations, etc. The more I reflect, the more I wish I could remember. I wish I remembered all the jokes and stories my grandpa would tell. I wish I remembered the taste of the doughnuts we would go get when we went to visit my granddad. I wish I could remember going to the "River-less Festival" with my grandma. I know we did it every year, but I just can't seem to find the pictures in my mind. 
It makes me sad to think about all the wonderful things in my life now, things I swear I'll remember forever. Things that I'm sure to forget in the next 3, 5, or 10 years. And what about Benton? What will he remember? How do I make sure it's the things I want him to remember? Like how he is a beautiful creation, so perfect in God's sight. Like how much he will always be loved, no matter where life takes him. I suppose as parents all we can do is remind our children daily who they are and how much they mean to us.
Ah well, I suppose this is a rambling post headed nowhere, but to remind myself of a lesson learned today, may I not forget it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment