Friday, June 17, 2011

Minor, err, major kitchen makeover

Well, as promised, I'm finally getting around to posting the results of the kitchen makeover I we (but mostly I :) ) did. Granted, we only changed one thing really. Hence, a minor makevoer. However, I think the new backspash makes such a statement that for me it feels like a MAJOR transformation. I went from feeling BLAH about this space to LOVING it. Loving. I actually WANT to clean it becuase I love it so much. It's still small, but I love it. It makes me happy. Okay, enough said. Here we go:

First, a reminder of what my kitchen looked like before:
537 Woodson Lane, Gardner KS537 Woodson Lane, Gardner KS
Okay, I'll be honest, this isn't MY kitchen, its a pic from another townhome down the street thats for sale. But, I promise, colors and everything are exactly the same. I just forgot to take a "before" picture. The only one I had didn't really show much at all.

It took me about 17 trips to Home Depot (not literally, but close), a total of somewhere around 10-15 hours (I'm guessing, I didn't really keep track), and around $150 (TOTAL! Including the tools I didn't have!).

And this is what I ended up with:


As usual, I apologize for the crappy pictures. Ever since I lost my camera, I'm stuck with relying on my phone anytime I wanna snap a pic. As a result, these pics REALLY don't do the final space justice.
The acutal paint color is:

Saffron by Martha Stewart Living in semi-gloss. (I was SO nervous about buying anything but Sherwin Williams, but the sheen and cover was actually excellent!)

My inspiration came from Thrifty Decor Chick's blog
beadboard around window
She also has a great tutorial on caulk and spackle (which I used TONS of for this project) here.
I've been SO obsessed with beadboard lately, I'm already searching for other places to put it. (Hint: the downstairs bathroom cabinets got a smidge of a wainscot facelift too :) )
I can't say enough how pleased I am with this project. Now, if I could just get those awful faucets changed out, I think I'll be in *tiny* kitchen heaven :)

No comments:

Post a Comment