Friday, October 8, 2010

3 years, still going strong!

Wow! 3 years! Okay, I won't use the cliche that it feels like just yesterday that I was walking down the aisle, that would be a huge exagerration. A lot has happened in 3 years, we have been trough a ton. We have cried, A LOT. But we have also had some amazing experiences I wouldn't trade for the world. Being married isn't exactly like I'd always imagined, but it's still great. Chris and I were talking about what our favorite parts of being married were so far. The list was topped off with, of course, our amazing son who we are head over heels in love with, the laughs that we have, and the fact that we never have to feel alone, even when the other isn't around, becuase we know that being apart will be short lived. No matter how hard things get, we are going through it together. I guess when it comes down to it, that's what marriage is all about, having someone to go through life with. And I love it.
SO, we decided we needed a chance to celebrate. Last year we didn't do much, since we had a 6 month old, and I could count the number of dates we have been on since Benton was born on one hand. We decided to make up for lost time and have a little "stay-cation" just the two of us. Benton has been with my parents since this last Friday (we had fall retreat all weekend so it worked better for him to be there anyway).
Here's the "G rated" recap :)
Wednesday Chris came home from work with a beautiful boquet of roses (pink of course), and since we were already all packed up, we loaded up the car and headed over to the Leawood Town Center/Park Place area where we had reservations for a couple nights at the Aloft hotel. Okay, so let me just say right now, this is my new favorite hotel. It's not super fancy, but it is fun and young and trendy and I LOVE it! In fact, I fell in love with that whole area this week. Our room was super cute (maybe a little small, but not bad).
Once we were all checked in we walked over to the Hereford House for dinner. Now I have heard from a few people that the Hereford House has the BEST steaks, and I have to say, our food was pretty good. So, next time you are looking for a yummy place to dine, I recommend it. I can say from personal experience now that the calamari is to die for, and the steak is also one of the best I've ever had.
We were stuffed before we even fnished our main course, so we took our white chocolate and caramel bread pudding back to the hotel for later. Then we headed back and exchanged gifts. I got Chris a new watch and he got me this adorable picture (below) for the house (I still have to decide where to put it...any ideas?) Since I promised to keep it g-rated, I'm going to leave out the details of the rest of the night ;)

Thursday we slept in until 9:30, yes, 9:30, it was heavenly. Truly. when we get to heaven, I think God is going to let us sleep in until 9:30 every day. Ahhh. Then we got up and ran around a little, had some lunch, and walked around town center for a few hours. (Hey coworkers, I got some new shoes so now you can't make fun of my old ones anymore :) )
Well, I had a co-worker tell me about
this little shop called "Cupcakes A La Mode" so we decided to try it out. Ummm, there are no words. I ordered the "Love Doctor" which is a chocolate cupcake with a strawberry buttercream frosting that has chocolate chunks and then it's topped with a chocolate covered strawberry. Chris had one iced with a mocha-y (I know, not a real word) frosting and topped with a chocolate covered espresso bean. Yum-o! Then we went and saw "Easy A." I won't lie, I had my doubts about this movie. Nothing else was really showing that interested us, though. And we figured since we were the only people in the theatre, if it sucked we could just make out the whole time. Just kidding. Kinda. Anywho, I was wrong. The movie was actua
lly really good! And Emma Stone was great. She is my new favorite celebrity. If I were a guy, she would be my celebrity crush. In fact, I think she's my new celebrity crush anyway. Yes, she was that good. After the movie, some dinner at CPK and back to the hotel we headed...
Unfortunatly all good things must come to an end and today we checked out and are now (very anxiously) headed to my parent's for the weekend to pick up our little man. I cannot wait to see him!
So there's your recap. Sorry for the play by play, I normally try not to put up posts like this but I had a few people ask about the trip so I figured this was the easiest way to share.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I love this! I am so glad you guys had a good time and got a chance to get away and just enjoy each other. Thanks for leaving out the PG-13/R rated moments ;)

    And CPK? The best.

    ReplyDelete