Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Book Report

A few weeks ago, I started reading the "Mark of the Lion" series by Francine Rivers. I've read several of her books before. "Redeeming Love" was my favorite prior to starting this series, the rest of her books all seemed to run together. Same story, different characters is the path I feel like most of her novels follow. However, these books take her writing to a whole new level. Since starting the books, my faith has really been challenged. I've been looking in a mirror and not always satisfied with what I see.
The first book, Voice in the Wind, begins the story of Hadassah, a young Jewish Christian girl whose family is (somewhat brutally) killed in the fall of Jerusalem. She is taken to Rome to become a slave for a rich, prestigious family, and she clings to her faith and promise to serve God as if it's the only thing she has left.
Now, I don't want to give away too much of the story, becuase these are some books you really need to read for yourself. But, what has captured me most about the books are two resounding themes.
 1. The constant reminders that God is here. He's never letting go. He's holding on. Today, my struggles, the things that scare me or tempt me or bring me joy, are all interwoven into his plan to draw me closer into His arms. I am such a thick headed creature to think that I should be so privy to knowing and understanding all the details that are part of this story he has placed me in. God doesn't promise to make things go our way, but He promises that His way serves a purpose much higher than I could ever hope to accomplish on my own. AND, His way is the ONLY way to feel fulfilled in this life.
2. God is sending us chances on a daily and even hourly basis to show love. And I'm not talking about the easy love, to our famililies or friends that make us feel good. I'm talking about that hard love, to those people who have acted rude, or careless or just flat out annoy me. And not only are we called to love, but called to ACT on that love. Wow, that's the hard part for me. Serving. Acting with grace when an insult is thrown my way. Treating EVERY SINGLE PERSON around me like their needs are above my own. Yikes. I have been failing miserably.
So, I'm going to try to re-dedicate myself to servanthood. To be a friend even to those who claim they don't need one. I am no judge. Who am I to say who is and isn't deserving of my heart? Pray for me as I start what I consider a new chapter in my life.
And read the books. You will NOT be wasting your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment