Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolutions

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called "Opportunity" and its first chapter is New Year's Day. "
Edith Lovejoy Pierce


This year, I'm not making a "New Years Resolution" in the traditional sense of the word. I read a study recently stating that 78% of new years resolutions fail. They estimate that the primary reason for this is that while people say they are going to make certain changes in their lives, they never actually set forth plans to accomplish these goals. For example, someone may say, "I'm going to lose 10 pounds" but don't create a plan as to how, or "I'm going to eat out less often" but don't look into ways to be better prepared before mealtime arrives and there's nothing to eat.

"Every new year people make resolutions to change aspects of themselves they believe are negative. A majority of people revert back to how they were before and feel like failures. This year I challenge you to a new resolution. I challenge you to just be yourself. "
Aisha Elderwynv

Instead of having a resolution that is sure to fail, I've created two major goals this year, along with plans as to how to achieve them. I also read in this study that women are 10% more likely to acheive their resolutions or goals if they make them public and share them with friends who will help hold them accountable. So, here are my two major goals, as well as my plan for reaching them:
Number 1: Stop obsessing over wanting more children and be the best mom I can to the one beautiful child I have and cherish every single second I have just the two of us.
-Step one: Keep the TV off during the day so that I can focus all my attention on Benton and his needs. (TV is permissible during naptime).
-Step two: Focus on two learning goals every week such as a color and a letter, or animal sounds and counting to 5. Try to work on the learning goals every day for at least a few minutes.
-Step three: Look for fun outings that both of us will enjoy and take them at least once a month (shopping does not count!)

"Resolve to make at least one person happy every day, and then in ten years you may have made three thousand, six hundred and fifty persons happy, or brightened a small town by your contribution to the fund of general enjoyment. "
Sydney Smith

Number 2: Be a better wife and not JUST a mom.
-Step one: Spend at least 15 minutes every evening I'm not working talking to Chris after Benton is in bed with the TV off and cell phones on silent.
-Step two: Get all the clutter, toys, baby stuff, etc out of our bedroom and turn it back into a place for just the two of us
-Step three: Go on dates at least once per month, even if it means hiring a babysitter (which I hate doing!)


"A happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I've played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year. "
Edgar A. Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment