Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dad!

March 3, 1959. The day my dad was born. Hooray! I better be pretty stinking glad about that, becuase, lets face it: if he wasn't born, I wouldn't be either!

In honor of my wonderful dad's 52nd birthday, I've compiled a short list of some of my favorite memories of him:

2nd grade: Our assignment for music class was to build a musical instument and bring it in the next week so we could all play together. Most kid's parents used a shoe box and rubber bands or a tin can and beans. Not my dad: my dad got out his wood and tools and built me a beautiul little musical box with guitar strings. My teacher was wow-ed to say the least.

My great grandmas funeral: The only time I've ever seen my dad cry. This is the day I learned that real men DO cry, even if it's very rare.

High school graduation: My mom and dad were going to buy me a ring as a graduation gift: I had my heart set on a beautiul white gold ring with 4 small princess cut diamonds. I knew it was more than they were probably wanting to spend but when my mom talked to my dad about it, he said "Let's get her the one she really wants." I still wear it every single day.

Summer after my freshman year of college: My parents came up to visit after I had just gotten back from Europe to bring me my car they were going to get fixed while I was gone. My dad gave me my keys and asked me to grab his sunglasses that he accidently left in there. When I went out to the parking lot, I couldn't find it. The he pointed to a NEW car and said, "There's your car, right there!" I may have peed my pants a little that day.

My wedding day: My dad danced with me. I don't remember ever seeing my dad dance with anyone, so this is a moment I will NEVER forget.

The first time he held Benton, a few days after he was born: I could see his heart melt before my eyes, and I knew he was going to be just as good of a grandpa as he was dad, maybe even better.

RT graduation: My dad told me he was proud of me. Maybe because I know my dad doesn't lie, and doesn't hand out compliments just for the sake of being nice, or maybe it's because I think so highly of him. Either way, both then and now I still consider this the biggest compliment I've ever recieved.

So there they are, my faves. Love you daddy, always will! Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment